Search This Blog

Sunday, September 18, 2016

Shouldn't Conventions be Fun?

Yesterday, my daughter and I attended Long Beach Comic Con. We left our home near San Diego at 8 a.m. and drove the 90 freeway miles without incident. Once we got to downtown Long Beach, however, everything changed for the worse, and remained that way for the rest of the day.

There was no traffic control heading toward the convention center. I sat behind a bus for nearly half an hour trying to turn right from Pine onto Seaside Way. Every time the light turned green there were cars in the middle of the intersection blocking any progress. Sometimes one car was able to turn right, but that bus sat there for so many light changes that I lost count.  Once we finally got onto Seaside, it was evident that we had to get into the left lane to enter parking. Six light changes later, we were finally in line to enter the garage. Why was it such a slow process? Because there was one lane open to collect the $10 parking fee.

Once parked we walked toward the entrance. HOLY COW. The line to get in was now ridiculously long. Thousands of people comprised a line which stretched from the entry doors, up over the ramp which crosses the street back into the parking garage, snaked through the garage and back outside. It took almost an hour to get inside. There was only a handful of people scanning tickets and handing out badges and wristbands.

We found our way to the Exhibit Hall. It was quite crowded, as you can imagine, but we managed to make our way up and down the unmarked aisles. There was no signage to indicate what row you were in, so the vendors list with booth numbers was not as useful as it should have been.  When we found our friend who was working at a booth inside, she told me that picking up the vendor badges was a royal pain. She was sent to several different locations by staff. When she finally arrived at the correct place to collect the badges, the person didn't know how to find them and actually asked my friend to find her booth in the program for her.

The entire time that we were in the convention center neither of us had any cellular service, and there was no convention wifi. I swear the building is operating inside of a force field.  My iPad uses a different carrier than my phone, and while it showed 3 bars, I could not post to any social media or load any websites. So much for posting for my social media clients. Curiously, when we went outside and walked 25 feet from the building we had full bars.   My daughter tried to pay for something and the vendor couldn't get the vendor wifi to work either! He had her sign a slip so he could process the payment offline.

my Star Trek purchase
After we made a couple of small purchases, we tired of the noise and crowd. We grabbed some lunch then headed toward the panel rooms. The main reason I went to LBCC was to see the Con Man and Firefly panels which were at 2:30 and 3:30. We decided to locate the panel room so we would know where to go for them. An email that I received before the convention stated that the rooms WOULD BE CLEARED between panels, and that the lines for the next panels would be allowed to form ONE HOUR before the panel.

The Batman panel was about to start. The doors to the room were open and I peeked inside. The room looked SMALL. There was a sign on the door with the same information as my email.   I asked a staff person how many seats the room held. He said 700. I looked outside and saw a line of at least 1000 people waiting for the next panel, which was Con Man. I told him I didn't think I'd get in for Con Man, but if I did, I wouldn't have any hope of seeing Firefly, since the room would be cleared and the line would be more than 700 people.  He assured me that the line for Batman was just as long and I'd have a seat and after Con Man I'd be able to walk right back in. I was skeptical.

this is the sign on the panel room door

I spotted a friend who also wanted to see the same panels. We decided to go outside and queue up, not believing we'd see Con Man, but hopeful to be in the line for Firefly. We estimated the line to now be about 1300 people. It started inside the building, went out the doors, along the building, curved along the street, back against the other side of the building, behind some dumpsters, and then between the building and the street. At about 2:50, we were still standing out there. Obviously we were missing the Con Man panel. Suddenly, a staff member took people who were in the middle part of the line along the street and sent them across the latter part of the line where we were and into the building. When I asked why, the woman "in charge" told us that they accidentally had 2 lines and were merging them. What? These people basically cut in front of hundreds.

By 3:00 we were told to all go inside. The doors to the room were propped open and we were told that we could stand in the lobby and watch the panel from there.  We were also told the room would not be cleared after the panel. We could neither see nor hear what was going on in that room, but more and more people kept pushing into the small space. We were wedged in like sardines. I had 1 bar of cell service for a few moments so  I was able to get a couple of tweets out, mentioning the con account and that of the Long Beach Fire Department, as we were clearly in violation of fire codes and the posted convention policy for those panels.
this is the lobby outside the panel room
our view of the Con Man panel from outside in the crowded lobby

As soon as the Con Man panel ended, those in the lobby stormed the room. There were a handful of seats that opened up, but we didn't get one. I stood next to a woman with a baby in the last row who told me that her kids were cranky, so after she got a few pictures, she was leaving. Her husband took the older child and left and I got a seat. My daughter was told by a staff person that she could not stand. An announcement was made that no one was allowed to stand in the back or sides. I told her to wait, but she was not pleased. Eventually, the 2nd seat opened up for her, but through the duration of the panel, the sides and back were lined with people.

Unfortunately, I couldn't hear most of what the panelists were saying. People called out to turn up the volume, but it wasn't enough for the back rows. The entire panel was Q&A, but there were no mics for the questions, so we had no idea what they were, or what the panelists were replying or reacting to.
 the Firefly panel from the back of the ridiculously small room

When the panel ended, we decided we had had enough and would head to the Exhibit Hall to say goodbye to our friend. We were stopped in the hallway because the panelists were to be crossing the hall into another room. That was serendipity. We were able to snap a few pics of them as they exited the panel room.

Sean Maher

Jewel Staite

Summer Glau

Nathan Fillion
When we got back to the Exhibit Hall, we saw two of our friends that were in line for the Firefly photo ops. One did not make it into the panel, the other was with us and did manage to snag a seat in a few rows ahead of us. She left the panel a little early to queue up for her photo. We got an earful from both of them about how the line for the photo ops was also mismanaged, and rerouted, and now they were further back than when they started before many of the people in front of them had even arrived.

This was one of the most poorly organized conventions I've attended...and I've attended a lot of cons of all sizes in several states! I will not be returning to Long Beach Comic Con.

1 comment:

  1. It was SO small! Much smaller than years past, now the Long Beach Comic Expo is normally in the same area but is expected to be smaller. The coverage is the worst! I dropped sales because of it!!
    I'll sure as heck never pay to go! That's for sure!

    Add your review here as well!