By popular demand, here is the incredible recipe I talked about on Twitter today.
I got the October issue of Family Circle for FREE and just look at the cover!
Here is the recipe, as found in the magazine:
FOUR CHEESE WITH BACON
1 box (1 lb) box cavatappi pasta
6 slices bacon, diced
1 T butter
3 T flour
2 C 2% milk
1/2 tsp onion flakes
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 lb sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1 C shredded colby-jack cheese (4 oz)
1 C shredded mozzarella cheese (4 oz)
8 slices Kraft Deli Deluxe American cheese (6 oz)
1) Heat oven to 350 deg. Coat a 3 qt. broiler-safe baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil.
2) Cook cavatappi 8 min in boiling water, then drain. Meanwhile, in medium-size saucepan, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Transfer to paper towels. Carefully pour off drippings, returning 2 T to pan. Add butter.
3) Whisk in flour until smooth. In a thin stream, whisk in milk. Stir in onion flakes, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil over med-high heat, then reduce heat and simmer 2 minutes. In large bowl, toss together cheddar, colby-jack and mozzarella.
4) Remove milk mixture from heat; whisk in American cheese and 1-1/4 cups of the cheddar mixture. Toss bacon pieces with remaining shredded cheese.
5) In pasa pot, combine cooked pasta and cheese sauce. Pour half into prepared dish. Sprinkle with a generous cup of the bacon-cheese mixture. Repeat layering.
6) Bake at 350 for 20 minutes. Broil for 3 minutes until top is lightly browned. Cool slightly before serving.
Makes 10 cups. A million calories each serving.
Now I made some necessary changes in order to use the ingredients I had on hand. Being a bacon freak, the first change I made was to use twice as much bacon. I have no idea what cavatappi is when it's at home, so I used medium shells. I don't have onion flakes either, so I just used pepper and seasoned salt.
The cheese was another modification. I had some shredded medium cheddar in the freezer, some Italian blend shredded cheese, and some orange and white shredded blend, no longer in it's original package, but I assumed it was cheddar & Jack or a Mexican blend. I just mixed it all up. Tasted fine to me!
I baked it in a stoneware casserole dish and it came out looking quite pretty.
Most importantly, it earned the Treklet Seal of Approval.